Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The Tunnel

i have been trying to write these kid's stories. devotionals. in the stories, i'm supposed to show rather than tell. use analogies. word pictures. things like that. when i say i have been trying to write them, what i mean to say is i have been trying to think of ideas so i can write them. i'm finding ideas are hard to come by. on my way home from work today, while making a good effort to discipline my thoughts towards the tiny tunnel opening where all the good ideas are hiding out, apparently, i had another kind of thought that was not an idea at all.

shawna, there must be something wrong with you. you have no ideas. that is bad.

sometimes trying to be a writer is exciting, when effort shapes something out of nothing. you look at it and you like what you see. other times, it's more like staring at a blob of clay that refuses to bend to your touch. or worse, it's like staring at a spinning wheel while it spins, no clay in sight.

i am learning, though. and it's an important lesson to learn.

try again tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. The part about "something wrong with you". and "you have no ideas" is a LIE! Dont listen to it.
    I find my best "ideas" or inspirations come when I am not looking for them. But rather when I am prayerfully considering what God would have me do with this gift.
    My voice (and my typing) are meant for the glory of God. Hopefully I am bringing glory to him as I speak to others through my (typed or spoken) words.
    Go easy on yourself. If you are under a deadline (whether real or imagined) I know that the pressure can fog your perspective.
    Just keep writing.
    Writers, write.

    ReplyDelete