Friday, November 30, 2012

Humility and Hope

It's the last night of November and rain clouds crowd the sky. Wet ground and grass welcome winter and Christmas lights on tree-lined streets glow in anticipation. December commences at the strike of midnight and with it, my countdown begins.

Decade, your days are numbered.  A new one is on it's way.  It's fitting that this night also marks the end of my stay at this house on the Wood streets.  If change is going to come, it might as well come in big doses.  I will miss this house. It's creaking floors and red door. My room with its brown walls and a closet the size of a small country. And I will miss the cushion of my 20's. But it's time to move on...

And I do that believing God knows what's best for me.  Don't get me wrong.  I have my moments.  My meltdowns.  Panic at the realization of how different the picture of my life looks compared to how I saw it in my head these past three decades.  I don't always trust God, but I do sometimes.  I do sometimes.  I do tonight, with a stormy sky outside my fleeting bedroom window and a song about eternity sounding through my laptop speakers.

The song is called You Hold Me Now.  There's a part at the end, almost an afterthought, that says Your kingdom come/your will be done/here on earth as it is in heaven.  This is the way I want to begin the new things that are coming, with humility and hope. Humility to accept a different picture than the one I had mind and hope because I know from the bottom of my heart that He knows what's best for me.  More than anything else, I want my life to be about His Kingdom and His will. Right now, for me, moving towards His kingdom and His will means moving towards humility and hope.

2 comments:

  1. I got chocked up as I read this. Your writing is very gripping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sigh. smile.

    i agree with Kimberly.

    ReplyDelete