Saturday, December 15, 2012

Soapbox

A couple weeks ago, I was teaching first period, Bible, to a classroom of 7th graders. We were reading the story of Joseph. How he experienced so much trouble and heartache and still put his trust in God.  How he saw God come through for him.  One of the verses we were supposed to cross-reference with the Genesis text was Jeremiah 29:11. "'For I know the plans I have for you,'" declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'" I figured some of the kids might not have heard it before, so I strongly encouraged them to memorize it and keep it close to them always so that they would never forget that God is faithful. No matter what they face, no matter how they feel, He knows the plans He has for them and His plans for them are for their good.

Around the same time, my 30th birthday was approaching.  I was determined not to have a bad attitude this time around.  Gratitude, it turns out, is a fantastic antidote for getting-old-gloominess.  And by God's grace, I was grateful.  Mostly.  Except for the teeny tiny pesky part of me that poked its head out every now and then to whisper the question, "Shawna, has God forgotten about you?" Doubt. I hate it. The stuff that closes me off to the perfect love of God. The stuff that questions His goodness and His kindness. It folds my arms over my chest and keeps Him out. But He came to my rescue with His Word. His promise.

In the middle of my doubt, He reminded me of my soapbox from first period.  Jeremiah 29:11. A verse I've known for a long, long time. I've known it for so long I guess I just forgot about it.  It was as if He was saying to me, "Shawna, do you see?  I know the plans I have for you. I've known them all along. I haven't forgotten about you."  It wasn't just a soapbox.  It was truth.  And it's just as true for me as for my 7th graders.

There's more.  This week I got a belated birthday present from my boss.  Attached to the ribbon was a little gold key chain.  Guess what's carved into the key chain. Yep.

"For I know know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future" Jeremiah 29:11.  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment