Sunday, June 23, 2013

The Beach, the Brakes, and the Bread Maker




A long, long time ago, my car started squeaking whenever I pressed down on the brakes. So I did what anyone with a deep aversion to car troubles would do. I pretended like everything was OK and kept right on driving. 

As the months went by, that nagging little voice of wisdom kept pestering me and I reached the point where I knew it was just about time to do something about the squeaking (and the shaking, by this time, especially as I pressed on my brakes going down hill.)  Around this time, I was learning about finances in my discipleship group. Figuring out what God has to say about money, provision, blessing, stewardship, etc. What I learned was convicting and it really challenged my perspective. I had sort of forgotten that God wants to provide for my needs. Without realizing it, I had adopted a self-sufficient mindset. So I thought I might start including God in that area of my life. I was beginning to consider praying for specific things to see what He would do. Sort of dipping my toes in the water, so to speak. Not much expectation. Not much risk. It wasn't that I didn't believe God could answer specific prayers. I just didn't think my requests were all that important. 

Well, I thought about the whole brakes situation and I decided it might be a good opportunity to pray a specific prayer. And I gave it a good try. But I couldn't ask God for the money. I just couldn't do it. I don't think it's wrong to ask God for money, but I couldn't quite get past the belief system of my brakes = my problem. There is one thing, one specific thing, I did ask him for, though. And I'll tell you what that was later. 

But first I will tell you that within about two weeks of thinking about these financial things in a new way, out of the clear blue sky, I received a check in the mail for $400. It wasn't exactly out of the clear blue sky. It was from a person, a very generous person who decided to bless me because God had blessed her. So now I had the money I needed to get my brakes fixed. What I still did not have was the resolve to overcome my deep aversion to car troubles and actually go to a mechanic. 

About a week after receiving the check, I was at work. It was a Friday. A happy Friday. My boss gave me a bread maker, out of the clear blue sky. Just kidding. It was out of her garage, actually. But it made my day. I told her she increased my chances of finding true love with that gift. What guy doesn't like a girl who can bake her own bread, right? Then, as I left work that Friday on my way to a graduation party, bread maker in tow, I heard a new, unpleasant sound coming from my car. That sound was the motivation I needed to overcome my aforementioned aversion. Images of metal scraping against metal filled my vision. Within a short time, I had coordinated a stop to the mechanic the following day on the way to the beach, where a couple friends and I had planned to spend our Saturday. It was slated to work out perfectly. The mechanic was on our way to the beach. We were on our way to the beach. I'd drop off my car on the way there and pick it up on our way back.  Simple.  

Later, as I was driving home from the party, anxious about the noises coming from my car but grateful that everything had worked out so well, I remembered something. My prayer. The one request I was bold enough to present to my Father. In my quiet time journal, referring to the mechanic, I wrote, "Will you give me a friend to go with me?" Well, He gave me two. My two friends who just so happened to have invited me earlier in the week to go with them to the beach on Saturday. I felt loved by God. I felt relieved that my car would no longer convulse every time I slowed down. 

Everything went according to plan. I picked up my car on our way back from the OC and was quite pleased to discover the convulsing and squeaking was gone! The new, unpleasant sound, however, remained. So, true to form, I solved the problem the way you'd expect. I turned up my music louder. But the noise was like a gnat flying around my face. Hard as I tried, I couldn't pretend it away. 

Fast forward to last week, due to an uncooperative network, I left work early. I had no excuses. Back to the mechanic I went to compliment him on how nicely he fixed my brakes and to tell him the bad sound hadn't gone away. I sat in the shop while first one, then both of the mechanics drove my car around to try to diagnose the mysterious problem. Well, diagnose it, they did. You'll never guess what they discovered.

Apparently, the bread maker I had stuffed on the floor of my backseat a couple Fridays earlier was rattling around from where it sat. Now, there are two things you can take away from this story. Firstly, I am the kind of girl who thinks very bad things are happening to her car when, in fact, it is just a medium-sized kitchen appliance jostling about in her backseat (I give you permission to use this against me as you see fit.) And secondly, God used that bread maker to answer my prayer. If it hadn't rattled in my ear that Friday, convincing me that my brakes were just shy of leading me and my Mazda to ruin, I wouldn't have made such immediate plans to get them fixed and I wouldn't have gone to the mechanic with not just one, but two friends. 

From the answer to the prayer I couldn't pray to the answer that exceeded the prayer I did pray, God took care of me. He wove a beautifully tangled web of blessing and provision through brakes and a bread maker. "'Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us, to Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus, throughout all generations, forever and ever! Amen" Ephesians 3:20-21.   

1 comment: