Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Changes

My sister got married last week. I stood beside her when she told her new husband that she will love him and be his wife forever. I watched her walk up the aisle beside him as a new bride in all her glory, love glowing on her face. I ran to her across the reception hall in my floor-length dress with her checkbook in my hand so she could pay Chick Fil-A in a hurry. I said goodbye to her as she positioned herself into the front seat of her freshly decorated car and I took a big, deep breath as my sister and her husband drove off to their future.
I didn't go with her.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Shawna. You have said so much.
    "I didn't go with her"
    I love that you can rejoice with her and yet mourn her loss simultaneously. It takes a lot of self control and self awareness to let go and continue to love- without holding a grudge! It's not easy and it is a choice. I admire your honesty and your devotion to grow.
    Bravo again. And Chris read your blog today...he was speechless. He thinks you are an amazing writer.
    Let me know when I can put a link from my blog to yours. The blogosphere needs to know you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cried really hard as I read this.

    ReplyDelete